Our Mergers and Acquisitions practice remains another signature strength of our Hong Kong office. We regularly advise domestic and foreign investors, state-owned entities and private investors, as well as various government agencies, on cross-border investments, mergers and acquisitions, compliance, and regulatory issues within the region. We advise Hong Kong-based companies, as well as regional and multinational clients across various industry sectors, on every facet of public and private M&A transactions. We also draw upon the capabilities across our firm to meet the needs of our clients, providing a robust perspective in navigating complex deals.
- Acted for the purchaser/offeror in its acquisition of the controlling stake representing 47.63% interests in AMVIG Holdings Limited and in the mandatory general offer triggered by the acquisition in 2020.
- Acted for the joint offerors in the proposed privatization of CIMC-TIANDA Holdings Company Limited in 2020.
- Acted for China Baofeng (International) Limited in relation to its privatization on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in 2020.
- Acted for NetDragon Websoft Holdings Limited in relation to its top-up placing of shares for over HKD 750 million in 2020.
- Acted for China Huaneng Group in its HKD 16 billion privatization of Huaneng Renewables by way of voluntary general offer.
- Advised CMC on its USD 400 Million Investment in Manchester City Football Club.
- Advised NetDragon on its USD 1.9 Billion Sale of 91 Wireless to Baidu.
- Representing NetDragon Websoft Inc. on its merger agreement with Baidu in 2013. The merger relates to the sale of the equity interests of NetDragon and other shareholders in 91 Wireless Websoft to Baidu at a total of USD 1.9 billion. This transaction was named as "M&A Deal of the Year - Inbound & Domestic" by China Business Law Journal in 2013, "M&A Deal of the Year" and "Technology, Media & Telecoms Deal of the Year" by Asian Legal Business, "Telecommunications, Media and Technology Deal of the Year" by China Law & Practice in 2014. Nicholas also previously participated as the Hong Kong legal adviser to the sponsor and underwriters in the IPO of NetDragon on the GEM Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in 2007, and represented NetDragon on its migration to the Main Board in 2008.
- Advising the spin-off of Beijing Tong Ren Tang Chinese Medicine Company Limited on the GEM Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange from Tong Ren Tang Technologies Co. Ltd., which is an H-share company listed on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and the offshore platform of the well-known and leading Chinese medicine brand of “Tong Ren Tang”.
- Acted for Shangdong Gold Mining Co., Ltd. in the acquisition of a Canadian-listed company, TMAC Resources Inc. by way of scheme of arrangement.
- Advising the controlling shareholder of Future Land Development Holdings Limited in its USD 661 million privatization by way of scheme of arrangement.
- Representing China Culiangwang Beverages Holdings Limited in its USD 400 million sale of beverage business to Coca-Cola Beverages (Shanghai) Company Limited.
- Representing Rothschild (Hong Kong) Limited, as sole sponsor, in Alibaba Health Information Technology Limited’s reverse takeover of Tmall’s online pharmacy store business with a new listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
"Thriving practice which handles a variety of corporate transactions ranging from cross-border acquisitions and private equity investments to overseas listings. Experienced in large M&A projects, especially transactions involving complex capital markets aspects. Routinely instructed by clients from an array of sectors including TMT, pharmaceutical, real estate, food production and heavy engineering industries. Boasts a sizeable and expanding team with robust expertise in both outbound and inbound acquisitions."
—— Chambers and Partners (2020)