Arbitration and mediation remain effective mechanisms for resolving both domestic and international disputes. As part of our Dispute Resolution and Litigation practice, these form part of Jingtian & Gongcheng’s core practices where we remain an industry leader.
We advise public and private companies, family offices, financial institutions, and private clients in handling highly complex, commercial arbitration. We have represented our clients before major domestic and international arbitration bodies, such as the China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC), the Beijing Arbitration Commission (BAC), the Hong Kong International Arbitration Center (HKIAC), the Singapore International Arbitration Center (SIAC) and the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC). Our record of performance includes advising our clients in handling a wide array of domestic and internal arbitration cases relating to mergers and acquisitions, inbound and cross-border investment, joint ventures, banking and finance, securities, real estate, infrastructure, construction, energy, international trade, intellectual property, and sports and recreation. Many of the cases we have successfully advised upon are critical to the survival of the companies we represent. In addition to navigating arbitration proceedings, we help our clients in remaining compliant with the enforcement of arbitration decisions. We also draw upon the full resources of our firm and work across practices to resolve disputes as effectively and efficiently as possible.
Our Arbitration and Mediation practice comprises lawyers who have received wide acclaim and who are widely recognized within the industry. Our lawyers possess deep experience advising clients across arts, recreation and sport, education, energy and natural resources, health care and life sciences, insurance, and real estate and construction. Many of our lawyers have previously worked at leading arbitration organizations such as CIETAC and BAC. Some retain their roles as arbitrators at CIETAC, the Shanghai International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission, the Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration, the Chongqing Arbitration Commission, and the Nanjing Arbitration Commission and continue to receive dozens of arbitration cases each year. Our lawyers maintain a deep and nuanced understanding of the process and procedures that drive arbitration trials and judgements and we advise our clients accordingly.
Jingtian & Gongcheng's arbitration team is adept at create a strong defense for clients in highly-controversial, high-risk, and complex arbitration cases to help them achieve their commercial objectives while effectively settling disputes. Jingtian & Gongcheng has been consistently ranked by Chambers & Partners, Asian Legal Business, China Law & Practice, and Legal 500 as a leading law firm in “Disputes Resolution” and “Arbitration.” We have won awards from China Law & Practice as “China Disputes Resolution Law Firm of the Year” and from Global Arbitration Review as “Outstanding Arbitration Team in China.” Many of our partners are also listed as recommended arbitration lawyers.
Areas of Work
- Legal consultation related to arbitration cases
- Written legal analysis and document drafting related to arbitration cases
- Undertaking or jointly undertaking domestic and international arbitration cases with foreign law firms, including developing arbitration strategies, drafting and submitting documents to arbitration bodies, collecting and preparing evidence, and attending court hearings
- Undertaking document preservation procedures related to arbitration cases
- Undertaking conciliation and mediation procedures and other alternative disputes resolution procedures related to arbitration cases
- Providing professional advice as PRC legal experts in foreign arbitration
- Undertaking withdrawal of arbitration cases, execution and non-execution of arbitration decisions
- Undertaking acknowledgment and execution of foreign arbitration decisions
Providing legal consultation related to disputes between investors and host countries.
"Full-service practice with a diverse range of capabilities in dispute resolution, encompassing corporate, securities, insurance, IP and insolvency disputes. Client roster includes a number of SOEs, listed companies, financial institutions and foreign corporations. Its expertise in international arbitration work is also sought after by clients. In addition, the team houses specialists in handling various administrative lawsuits, and is especially skilled in matters related to securities law."
—— Chambers and Partners (2019)
- Jingtian & Gongcheng Ranked in Two Practices at Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution Awards 2019
- Jingtian & Gongcheng Wins 17 Practice Area Recommendations and 28 Individual Recommendations in LEGALBAND 2019 Rankings
- Jingtian & Gongcheng’s Lawyers Ranked by Chambers Global Guide 2019 in Multiple Areas
- Jingtian & Gongcheng Ranked in Two Practices at Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution Awards 2018
- Jingtian & Gongcheng Wins China Law & Practice 2017 Equity Deal of the Year with WuXi Biologics US$ 510 M IPO